Tuesday 22 November 2011

West Side Story: Duchess of Spotswood


It’s a trial getting me to cross over neutral territory to go back northside after my triumphant return to the south earlier this year, so you can only imagine how rare it is for me to cross the Westgate. However, last Saturday my household was persuaded to make the journey on a grey drizzly morning in search of a different kind of brunch offering and a catch up with our lone westside friend.  I know every man and his dog has blogged about Duchess of Spotswood but I like to give credit where it is due and they are doing something out of the ordinary.

The Duchess is located in a quiet stretch of shops in Spotswood (flashbacks to scienceworks anyone?) and has a gran's dining room stripped bare feel with communal tables, a chandelier and an enticing pastry cabinet. It’s always busy rain or shine but rain reduces its capacity by making the courtyard untenable. Its menu is heavily influenced by English sensibilities and its dishes have a variety of clever names. 

We started with a round of coffees, which were good but  not photographed due to the desperate need for caffeine interfering with cameras. 

I ordered the Duchess of Pork (I do have a slight porcine obsession), which was a very porky combination of crispy fried pork jowl terrine with fried egg (that was a touch of pork floss on the egg with the truffle), rich truffle sauce and sourdough toast for dipping ($18.50).


Y ordered the lighter option of Simple Pleasures, which was a fresh tasting combination of broad beans, asparagus, radish herbs and goats curd with sourdough toast and poached eggs ($17.50)
 

B had the Breakfast of Champignons: an aptly named combination of potato and barley hash with field mushrooms, Stilton and poached eggs ($17.50). The Stilton did slightly overpower the rest of the flavours as would be expected so I wouldn’t recommend if you aren’t a fan of pungent cheese (which B and I luckily are). 


I’d say it’s worth the trip but be prepared to wait.
Duchess of Spotswood on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Hey next time could you post some pics of the decor? Sounds really interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will do. I might drag you across the bridge for a return visit...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...